Donnerstag, 20. März 2014

Gandamak

The British nation has a habit to remember it's defeat on the battlefield like Isandlwhana, Maiwand, Colenso etc.

One of these defeats is the fighting at Gandamak in the 1st Afghan war. We know the famous painting by
William Barnes Wollen



Other lesser know like this which I found on the homepage of the National army museum


And I have seen a lot of dioramas like this one



more from the latter at
http://terrainandtoysoldiers.blogspot.de/2011/11/gandamak-diorama.html


What I always wanted was to build this last fight from the retreat from Kabul in 1/72.  Some years ago on a figure fair my friend Schmitty came back from a stand grining from ear to ear with a bag of conversions.



 


Can you imagine that I nearly went on my knees, pleading with him that he doesn't know what use they are for. But he I had no chance. Well, in the meantime I met Massimo, so maybe between all my ideas for future projects this is another idea:-))

There are no figures in the British infantry uniform of 1830-40 on the market in 1/72. These we could use for the Opium war, the 1st Burma war and the 1st Afghan war, 1st Carlist war beside some minor clashes on other frontiers.

BTW, within the bag was this guy here too. I guess it should be a Cape mounted rifleman.



1 Kommentar: